Thursday, November 19, 2009

Chapter Four:

“Why does your life have to be so damn confusing?” Annabelle asked Kaily.

“Don’t ask me, it’s not like I’m the one that asked for this love triangle to just suddenly appear around me,” Kaily responded. “And you’re supposed to be helping me out here, not making me feel worse.”

“Sorry, sorry,” Annabelle apologized. “Okay, so what exactly am I supposed to be doing here again?”

“Well, you’re supposed to be helping me figure out what I’m supposed to do about Huy and Andrew,” Kaily answered, her voice filled with fake disgust. “I’m so confused right now. I mean, I love Huy, I really do, but I also like Andrew. And this is all so confusing.”

“Didn’t I already tell you what I think you should do?” Annabelle asked; already knowing the answer to her question. “I told you this already. Do what you think is right. If you believe that Andrew is better for you than Huy, then by all means, break up with Huy and get with Andrew. But if you think that Huy is better, then stay with Huy and don’t do anything. Just follow your heart girl and everything will just work itself out.”

“I guess,” Kaily muttered, walking down the hallway alongside Annabelle. “But what if I make the wrong decision?”

“Well then, I highly suggest that you make the correct decision the first time around,” Annabelle answered. “If I were you, I’d stay with Huy because he loves you with all his heart, and you love him too. This thing with Andrew, it could end up just passing in a week or two and everything could just go back to normal.”

“Maybe,” Kaily said. “Hopefully things will all work out. And hopefully no one has to get hurt too badly.”

“Once you step into a relationship, someone’s going to get hurt. Whether it’s the boy or the girl, or sometimes someone who you didn’t even think would be involved in the relationship, someone always gets hurts. That’s the hard part about relationships, you have to work a lot for just a little thing,” Annabelle wisely stated. “And sometimes you just have to let go. People tend to say that letting go is the hardest thing you will ever do, and for the most part it is, but sometimes it’s just necessary.”

“You really are smart, you know that Annabelle,” Kaily said. “You know a lot about things like this even though you haven’t even been in a real relationship before.”

“I just so happen to understand how the human mind works, it’s not that complicated,” Annabelle replied. “Human’s are all the same, all wanting someone or something and they all tend to show it in the same way.”

“Annabelle, you really are a good friend,” Kaily said as they reached the north hallway exit to the patio.

“Thanks,” Annabelle said as she opened the door for them. Kaily walked out the door,
followed closely behind by Annabelle.

Kaily and Annabelle walked out onto the patio, joining Huy, Andrew, and the others. They all took their normal seats at the circular table located to the far right of the patio. It wasn’t exactly a burning hot day, but it was still quite warm. Lucky for the group, the table had an umbrella above it, shading them from the intensely warm light of the sun. “It’s been so hot the past week,” Alex muttered as he slid his jacket off, laying it on the table before him. “And these lame uniforms don’t help at all.”

“I know what you mean man,” Huy replied. “Black pants, black long sleeve jacket, and a thick collared shirt. Black is not a friend to this type of unusual fall heat.”

“That is so totally true,” Annabelle said, straightening out her blue plaid skirt. “But lucky for us girls we get to wear a skirt, which must be much cooler than those unflattering black pieces of crap.”

“They might be pieces of crap, but they aren’t that unflattering, are they?” Huy questioned, looking and sounding like a complete fool.

“No Huy, they don’t make you’re non-existent butt look fat,” Kaily joked, looking into his deep blue eyes. They were the color of crystal blue water, reflecting the midnight sky.

“What do you mean non-existent?” Huy asked, glaring at Kaily. “I’m just skinny, that’s all. You should know that by now.”

He’s so cute, Kaily thought to herself. But so is Andrew. Why does this have to all be so confusing? I mean, why do I have to like both of them? All this is going to do is lead to total chaos.

“Yes Huy, we all know that you’re as skinny as a twig,” Annabelle laughed. “I mean if we turned you sideways, you’d probably disappear from sight, that’s how skinny you are.”

Kaily stared at Huy, watching the group talk to each other as usual. She looked directly across the table, to the seat at which Andrew normally sat at. But today he wasn’t there, making the table seem empty, incomplete. It seemed like everyone was hiding secrets from each other these days. Secrets, which if told, would cause the downfall of their friendship.

“By the way, does anyone know where Andrew is?” Kaily asked, trying to join back into the conversation. “It’s odd; I haven’t seen him at all since calculus.”

“Not sure, he might have a track meeting today at break,” Annabelle stated. “But usually he would tell us about those types of things. I don’t know what’s up with him, but it seems like he’s trying to separate himself from us.”

“Maybe he just needs some space,” Alex said. “People need to be alone sometimes, to think things out.”

“It could be anything, let’s not worry too much about it,” Huy stated. His usually happy voice was as frozen as midwinter ice. “He’ll show up again soon, besides it’s not like we need him right now. We already finished our history project, so I don’t think it’s that necessary that we find him right now.”

“True, but Huy, he’s our friend,” Kaily replied, trying to get to her point. “Friends look out for each other. And he’s always been there for you, so this one time; can’t you be there for him?”

“I’ve tried asking him about it, he just said that he couldn’t tell me about it,” Huy muttered harshly. “He kept saying that I wouldn’t understand. That this was the one thing in the world that he couldn’t tell me about, no matter what. I don’t know what’s up with him, but it doesn’t matter. If he doesn’t want to hang out with us then it’s fine by me. I don’t want to have to be attached to someone that’s forcing themselves to talk with us against their will.”

“Huy, how in the world could you say that? Andrew’s your best friend,” Kaily said, almost shouting.

“How could you ever say such a thing about your best friend?” Annabelle questioned, angrily. “You’re a total jerk Huy!” Annabelle slapped him across the face, hard, leaving a slightly swollen red mark.

Annabelle stormed away from the table, Alex following closely behind her, mumbling things to help calm her down. Huy watched through watering eyes as his friends walked away from him. Kaily looked down at him with a look of disappointment upon her face.

“You deserved it Huy,” Kaily whispered in a soft voice. “I don’t know any sane person who could say such cruel things about their best friend. I understand that you’re upset that Andrew hasn’t been the best of friends recently, but there is no reason to begin acting as though you hate him.”

“I know,” Huy mumbled, barely audible. He stared at Kaily.

Huy, Kaily thought, you really have been acting like a jerk. If Andrew did tell you, you wouldn’t understand. Even I know that you wouldn’t. You wouldn’t be able to take the fact that he likes me. You’d just get straight out mad, and Andrew wants to protect your guys’ friendship, at least for the most part. You wouldn’t understand, you should just trust Andrew and not doubt him all the time.

Kaily grabbed Huy’s hand, squeezing it gently, to remind him that she was still here. Huy seemed distant at the moment, like his mind wasn’t really there. Kaily watched him as he sat there, totally spaced out.

She rested her head upon her free arm, which was gently resting against the table, closing her eyes. She hoped that maybe if she ignored the world surrounding her she could think clearly for a moment or two. Through Huy’s hand, she could feel the steady rhythm of his strong heart. She focused on it, forgetting about the noise and motion around her, letting herself drift into a quiet place in her mind where she could think. The only sound was the rhythm of Huy’s heartbeat.

If only Andrew and Huy weren’t best friends, maybe this decision would be much easier. Huy loves me, and I love him. But on the other hand Andrew likes me and I like him. But is that all it is? Just liking each other, no true love involved? I love Huy, I really do. And I like Andrew, and that’s all it is for now, a simple crush. I know what the right thing to do is.

Huy squeezed Kaily’s hand, brining her back to reality. She looked up to see Huy smiling down at her. He seemed too content for someone who had just badmouthed their best friend and been slapped by another because of it.

Kaily stared at him, watching as his eyes, which were a shimmering blue color, the shade of deep water reflecting the night sky, brighten to a more icy blue color when he smiled and become darker as his smile faded.

“Class is going to start any minute now Huy,” Kaily stated, beginning to stand up. Huy followed her, being awfully quiet. Kaily began to wonder if there was something wrong with him.

They walked, hand in hand, across the patio and back toward the north hallway. Just as Huy opened the door for the two the bell rang, signaling that class would begin soon. They continued to walk, down the north corridor and into the library, taking the south hallway to their class.

No comments:

Post a Comment